Male Erection: Causes, Treatment, and Prevention
When male erection occurs, the surprise can be a pleasant one — or quite alarming. This article will explore the causes of male erection, treatment, and prevention for the condition.
What is male erection?
Male erection is a term used to describe an erection of the penis. It occurs when the tissues of the penis, known as the corpus cavernosum, fill with blood, causing it to become rigid and erect. In order for an erection to occur, a complex network of physical and psychological factors need to be triggered beforehand.
Causes of male erection
There are many possible causes of male erection, including:
- Stimulation of the genitals
- Physical arousal
- Mental/emotional arousal
- Certain medications (e.g. Viagra, Cialis)
- Spinal cord injury
- Sleep apnea
- Anxiety or stress
- Surgery to the pelvis
- Hormonal changes
Treatment for male erection
Given the varying causes of male erection, the treatment varies, too. Treatment may include:
- Counseling, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and sex therapy
- Medications to treat underlying conditions such as anxiety or depression
- Viagra, Cialis, or other medications for erectile dysfunction
- Hormone therapy
- Surgery to correct physical abnormalities
There are no guaranteed ways to prevent male erection from occurring. However, there are several things a person can do to reduce their risk:
- Reduce stress, through exercise, relaxation, or other stress relief techniques
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Quit smoking, if applicable
- Engage in more physical activity
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Seek treatment for underlying mental health conditions like depression or anxiety
Male erection can be a confusing and embarrassing condition. However, with proper treatment and understanding, it can be managed. If you are experiencing male erection, do not hesitate to seek help.