What is Cryotherapy?
Cryotherapy is a type of skin treatment that uses low temperatures to reduce inflammation and improve the appearance of acne. It’s a popular treatment for both adults and teens, as it is relatively fast and has no downtime. Cryotherapy can be applied with a handheld wand or used as a whole-body treatment in a cryotherapy chamber.
Pros of Cryotherapy for Acne Treatment
- Reduces Inflammation – Cryotherapy can reduce inflammation by limiting the production of inflammatory molecules and by decreasing cell metabolism.
- Improves Acne Symptoms -Cryotherapy can reduce the appearance of blemishes and scarring, by soothing the area around them.
- Fast Results -Cryotherapy is a fast procedure and can provide acne relief in less than 20 minutes.
- No Downtime -Cryotherapy sessions are very brief and provide no downtime, making it easy to fit into daily life.
- No Pain -There is no pain involved with cryotherapy, instead the sensation can be described as cold, but comfortable.
Cons of Cryotherapy for Acne Treatment
- Expensive -Cryotherapy is not cheap, most people require multiple treatments over the course of several weeks in order to see the desired results.
- Possible Side Effects -Although rare, possible side effects can include dryness, redness, and even blistering. It’s also important to make sure you don’t have any known allergies to cold before beginning a treatment.
- Inconvenience -Cryotherapy requires regular treatments, usually 2-3 times a week, and can be inconvenient to fit into a daily schedule.
Cryotherapy is a popular, fast and effective way to reduce acne symptoms, with minimal side effects and no downtime. However, it can be expensive and inconvenient for some people. Before deciding whether cryotherapy is the right option for you, it’s important to consult a dermatologist to determine if it’s the appropriate treatment for your acne symptoms.