5 Hair Care Mistakes and How to Fix Them for Healthy Hair
We all want healthy, silky and shiny hair – but it’s not always easy to achieve. Many of us make common mistakes that keep us from having the beautiful locks we desire. Here are 5 hair care mistakes and how to fix them:
1. Not Shampooing Frequently Enough
Dirty hair isn’t healthy hair – washing your hair regularly is a must if you want to keep it looking great. You should be shampooing your hair every 2-3 days to avoid buildup that can lead to dull, lifeless locks.
Just as bad as not washing, over-washing can strip the hair of its natural oils, leading to dry, brittle strands. Washing more than twice a week could be too much for your hair.
3. Brushing Too Much or with the Wrong Brush
Brushing your hair too much or with the wrong brush can cause split ends, breakage, and damage. Use a soft-bristle brush to lessen the chances of damaging your hair, and don’t brush too often. Avoid combing your hair when its wet as this is more likely to lead to breakage.
4. Using Harsh Products
Many store-bought shampoos and conditioners can have harsh ingredients that can damage your hair. Avoid products with sulfates and parabens, and instead opt for natural and organic products specifically designed for different hair types.
5. Not Trimming Regularly
Trimming and cutting your hair about every six to eight weeks can help keep split ends at bay and add body and volume to your hair.
By following some of these simple tips, you can reduce the chances of making common hair care mistakes that can damage your hair and guarantee it looks and feels its best!
What are some common hair care mistakes to avoid?
1. Over-washing. Your hair and scalp need natural oils to stay healthy, and rubbing them away can dry the scalp and damage your locks.
2. Failing to use conditioner regularly. Conditioner helps to keep hair hydrated, making it easier to style and manage.
3. Brushing too often. Brushing your hair too often causes it to break and be more prone to split-ends.
4. Using too much heat. Heat styling is often necessary to achieve the desired look, but using excessive heat will damage your hair.
5. Not using a heat protectant. Heat protectants help to protect your hair from excessive heat damage.
6. Not getting regular hair trims. Trimming your hair regularly helps to keep split-ends away and gives your hair a healthy look.
7. Tight hairstyles. Tight hairstyles pull on your hair, causing it to become weak and vulnerable to breakage.
8. Over-styling your hair. Excessive styling can damage your hair, so it’s important to give your hair a rest between styling sessions.
9. Not using a deep conditioner. Deep conditioners are important for restoring damaged hair and for giving it a healthy and glossy look.
10. Skipping regular scalp massages. Scalp massages help to increase circulation and cleanse and nourish the scalp, which is essential for healthy hair.