PCOS and Hair Loss
Hair loss can be a distressing symptom of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), but with an understanding of the condition and the right treatments, you can regain your healthy hair.
What is PCOS?
PCOS is a condition affecting many women in which hormone imbalance causes a host of symptoms, including irregular menstrual cycles, weight gain, infertility, depression, pelvic pain, and excessive hair growth on the face, body and scalp – and sometimes, hair loss.
What Causes Hair Loss in PCOS?
The hormone imbalances and metabolic changes of PCOS affect the scalp and hair growth in several ways:
- Increased production of androgen hormones can lead to male pattern baldness.
- Insulin resistance causes nutritional deficiencies, including deficiencies in important vitamins and minerals necessary for healthy hair growth.
- The inflammatory effects of PCOS can cause thinning hair.
The most effective way to treat PCOS and hair loss is to treat the underlying condition. There are several strategies that can help you regain your healthy hair while managing your PCOS symptoms:
- Lifestyle Changes. PCOS is affected by diet and lifestyle. Eating a balanced diet, getting regular exercise, and addressing any emotional issues can help improve PCOS symptoms, including hair loss.
- Hormone Therapy. Hormone therapy can help restore hormone balance, which can help reduce the severity of PCOS symptoms, including hair loss.
- Supplements. Supplements, such as biotin, vitamin B complex, and omega-3 fatty acids, can be beneficial for hair loss caused by PCOS.
- Hair Restoration Treatments. Hair restoration treatments, such as minoxidil and finasteride, are effective for treating male pattern baldness and can help restore some hair loss caused by PCOS.
The best way to tackle PCOS and hair loss is to focus on treating the underlying condition. With a combination of healthy lifestyle choices and medical treatments, you can regain your healthy hair and manage your PCOS symptoms.
PCOS, polycystic ovary syndrome, hormone imbalance, PCOS hair loss, male pattern baldness, lifestyle changes, hormone therapy, supplements, hair restoration, minoxidil, finasteride.