Living with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can be challenging and it is important to be mindful of your health and wellbeing when looking for ways to stay active. It is possible to exercise safely with RA and maintain a healthy lifestyle, so here are some tips for staying active and exercising safely.
Important Tips for Staying Active and Exercising with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Stay consistent: Try to stick to a routine of exercise and activity as this will help you manage symptoms and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Talk to your doctor: Your doctor can help advise you on the best ways to safely exercise and stay active with RA.
- Focus on low-impact activities: Low-impact exercises such as walking, swimming and yoga can help manage symptoms and reduce inflammation.
- Try adaptive exercises: Adaptive exercise classes are designed for those living with RA, and they can help you find an effective exercise routine that works for you.
- Strengthen your muscles: Strengthening activities such as weight-lifting and resistance exercises can help reduce joint pain and make everyday activities easier.
- Be mindful of your energy levels: Listen to your body and take rest when needed. It’s important to be mindful of your energy levels and build up activities gradually.
The Benefits of Exercise for RA
Exercising with RA can be beneficial for both physical and mental health. Regular exercise can help reduce joint pain and inflammation, improve strength and flexibility, and increase energy levels. It can also help with reducing stress and improving mental wellbeing.
Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis requires thoughtful care, mindfulness, and regular exercise to help manage symptoms. Taking the time to focus on your health and wellbeing can have a positive impact, so be sure to talk to your doctor before starting any type of exercise routine. With thoughtful care and a regular exercise routine, it is possible to remain healthy and active with RA.