Discover the Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation for Menopause Symptoms & Health
Menopause is a stage of life experienced by women, typified by a changing hormonal balance. This can induce physical and emotional symptoms that range from mild to severe. One way of addressing these menopause symptoms is mindfulness meditation, a simple and effective practice that has proven incredibly powerful for relaxation, self-awareness and physical wellbeing.
What is mindfulness meditation?
Mindfulness meditation is the practice of paying attention to the present moment, with an open and non-judgmental attitude. This can be done through paying attention to your breathing, or simply noticing the thoughts, physical sensations and emotions that arise. This helps to reduce stress and anxiety and can even improve physical symptoms.
Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation for Menopause
Research has repeatedly shown that mindfulness meditation can be beneficial to those experiencing menopause symptoms. Below are some of the ways it can help:
- Mood stabilization – As menopause symptoms can often lead to a very roller-coaster ride of emotions. Mindfulness meditation can help to balance these emotions, preventing them from spiralling out of control.
- Physical pain relief – Mindfulness meditation encourages relaxation and has been shown to reduce physical tension, which in turn can reduce the frequency of hot flashes and other painful physical symptoms.
- Better sleep – One of the benefits of mindfulness meditation is that it can help to reduce stress and anxiety levels, making it easier to get to sleep and stay asleep.
- Reduce stress and anxiety – Stress and anxiety can often be triggered by menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings. Mindfulness meditation can help to reduce the impact of these symptoms and help bring about a feeling of inner peace and balance.
How to Practice Mindfulness Meditation
Mindfulness meditation is a practice best done in a quiet, peaceful space. Here are some simple steps to get you started:
- Find a comfortable seated position and simply take a few moments to observe what is happening in your body.
- Draw your attention to your breath, follow it as it slowly moves in and out.
- If your mind wanders, simply let go of the thought and bring your attention back to your breath.
- Practice connecting with the present moment and being aware of any present emotions or physical sensations.
Mindfulness meditation is a simple yet powerful tool that can help women going through menopause to better manage their symptoms and take control of their wellbeing. It is a practice of observing the present moment, with an open and non-judgmental attitude, that can help to reduce stress and tension, leading to improved physical and mental wellbeing.