What Is Armour Thyroid and How Does It Help?
Armour Thyroid, also known as desiccated thyroid, is a natural medication derived from the thyroid glands of animals such as pigs or cattle. It is prescribed by doctors to treat individuals suffering from hypothyroidism, a condition marked by the inadequate production of hormones by the thyroid gland.
Armour Thyroid contains both the hormones, thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) in a very similar ratio as that in the human thyroid gland. This is why it has been in use by doctors for a long time as it is considered to be the most natural option. It helps to alleviate the side effects of hypothyroidism such as feeling cold, fatigue, weight gain, hair loss and depression.
Benefits of Armour Thyroid
- Efficient: Armour Thyroid is considered to be the most effective medication available for treating hypothyroidism as it mimics the natural hormones produced by the human thyroid gland.
- Easy to Take: This medication is easy to take as you only have to swallow a couple of pills. It is also available in both a tablet and a capsule form.
- Natural: Armour Thyroid is derived from the natural glands of animals and hence, it is considered to be a very safe and natural form of treating hypothyroidism.
Risk and Side Effects of Armour Thyroid
Though it is usually safe to take Armour Thyroid, there are certain risks and side effects associated with its use. Some of these include:
- Heart Problems: People taking this medication may experience an increased heart rate or palpitations as thyroxine can act as a stimulant.
- Insomnia: Due to the same stimulant effect, some people may have trouble sleeping or suffer from insomnia.
- Excessive Medication: If a high dose of the medication is taken, it can lead to symptoms of hyperthyroidism such as anxiety or weight loss.
It is important to consult a doctor before taking Armour Thyroid or any other thyroid medication. While it can help to provide relief to people suffering from hypothyroidism, it is always good to be aware of any risks or side effects that may be associated with its use. It is also important to follow the doctor’s advice regarding the dosage of medication being taken.
Keywords: Armour Thyroid, Thyroid Hormones, Desiccated Thyroid, Hypothyroidism, T4, T3, Hyperthyroidism.