Understanding Hypothyroidism Treatment
Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid is underactive, resulting in reduced production of hormones associated with growth and metabolism. While mild symptoms of hypothyroidism might be manageable without medical intervention, severe cases should be treated with medication and lifestyle changes. Understanding the different treatment options available for hypothyroidism can help targeted treatments be more effective in managing symptoms.
One of the most common treatments for hypothyroidism is hormone replacement therapy. This medication contains synthetic versions of the hormones your thyroid would normally produce. Synthetic levothyroxine is the most widely used type of hormone replacement therapy, and is designed to provide the correct balance of hormones the body needs.
Another type of medication is known as thyroid extract, which is a more natural treatment for hypothyroidism. This is typically an extract from animal thyroid glands, and works by providing the body with the hormones it needs, some people find it more effective than synthetic hormones.
In addition to medication, there are also lifestyle changes which can help manage the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
- Exercising regularly, including both aerobic and strength activities, as well as stretching and relaxation exercises
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet that includes plenty of foods rich in vitamins and minerals
- Avoiding foods and drinks that are high in sugar, caffeine and other chemicals
- Managing stress levels by engaging in relaxation techniques and having a positive attitude towards life
- Avoiding excessive amounts of alcohol
Hypothyroidism can be effectively managed with medication and lifestyle changes. If you are suffering from hypothyroidism it is important to consult with your doctor to determine the best course of action for you, as each individual’s needs may vary.
Keywords: hypothyroidism, treatment, thyroid, synthetic levothyroxine, thyroid extract, exercise, diet, stress, relaxation, attitude, alcohol.