What Is Thyroid Disease?
Thyroid disease is a disorder of the thyroid gland, a small gland in the neck that produces hormones that help regulate bodily systems. The most common thyroid diseases are Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Graves’ disease, which are autoimmune diseases, as well as overactive and underactive thyroid.
Signs and Symptoms of Thyroid Disease
Common signs and symptoms of thyroid disease include:
- Unexplained weight gain
- Dry skin
- Hair loss
- Sensitivity to cold
- Muscle weakness
- Irregular or heavy menstrual cycles
Risks Factors For Thyroid Disease
Risk factors for thyroid disease include but are not limited to:
- Age: Most commonly, thyroid diseases affect people between 30 and 50 years of age.
- Family History: You’re more likely to have thyroid disease if other members of your family have it.
- Race: Certain races, such as whites and Asians, have an increased risk of thyroid diseases.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women are at an increased risk of developing thyroid diseases.
Diagnosing and Treating Thyroid Disease
If you’re experiencing signs and symptoms of thyroid disease, your doctor will typically order laboratory tests to check your thyroid function. From there, your doctor can make a diagnosis and recommend a treatment plan. Treatment for thyroid diseases may include medications, lifestyle modifications and/or surgery.
Preventing Thyroid Disease
- Manage stress levels
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet
- Keep regular medical appointments
- Get enough exercise and rest
- Reduce or avoid exposure to environmental toxins
Thyroid disease is a common condition, but it can be treated and managed with proper diagnosis and treatment. If you’re experiencing any signs or symptoms of thyroid disease, see your doctor. Early diagnosis and treatment can help keep your condition under control.
Keywords: thyroid disease, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Graves’ disease, overactive, underactive, weight gain, fatigue, dry skin, hair loss, sensitivity to cold, constipation, muscle weakness, depression, irregular cycles, infertility, treatment, prevention