Getting thinning hair or bald spots can be worrisome. But when it’s due to an underlying thyroid condition, understanding the causes and getting the right treatment can help make a big difference.
What is Thyroid Health?
Thyroid health is related to the secretions of hormones that control metabolism, body heat, energy levels, and other essential bodily functions. When the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough hormones, or produces too much, it can have a range of symptoms, including hair loss or thinning hair.
What Causes Hair Loss?
When a person has too much or too little thyroid hormone, known as hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, it can have a physical and emotional impact, including hair loss or thinning hair. As the body’s metabolic system slows down, it can cause changes to a person’s hair, such as thinning, hair loss, and dryness.
What Are the Solutions?
The good news is that with proper medical care and treatment, hair loss related to thyroid issues can be successfully treated and reversed.
- Medication: Medication prescribed by your doctor can help treat the underlying thyroid condition and boost thyroid hormone levels.
- Supplementation: Adding a daily supplement containing vitamins, minerals, and herbs can help rejuvenate your hair.
- Lifestyle Changes: Eating a nutritious diet and exercising regularly can help improve your overall health and promote healthier hair.
How to Maintain Healthy Hair?
Aside from treating the underlying thyroid condition, there are lifestyle changes that can be implemented to help maintain healthy hair.
- Stress Management: High levels of stress can cause increased hair loss, so taking breaks, meditating, and relaxing can help reduce stress and keep hair loss at bay.
- Keep Hair Clean: Regularly washing hair with a mild shampoo will keep it clean and hydrated, and help to prevent hair loss.
- Limit Heat Styling: Heat styling tools can cause damage to the hair and scalp, so limiting the use of styling tools can help prevent hair loss.
By understanding the causes of hair loss associated with thyroid health conditions, and taking the necessary steps to treat the condition and maintain healthy hair, the hair loss can be successfully managed.