Are you struggling to lose weight despite stringent diet and exercise plans but don’t know why? You may be hitting a dreaded weight loss plateau. Weight loss plateaus are often an inevitable part of the weight loss journey, but there are ways to break through it and get to your goal.
What is a weight loss plateau?
A weight loss plateau occurs when your body no longer responds to dietary changes and exercise. This usually happens after a period of good weight loss results. Your body adjusts to all the changes and stops losing weight. Weight loss plateaus can be de-motivating and challenging, but the truth is there is always a way out.
How to overcome a weight loss plateau?
- Increase your physical activity – The key is to increase the intensity of your exercise or inject some variety into your routine. Also, combine different kinds of exercises to challenge your body.
- Be realistic about your weight goals -Your body may not be able to reach the goals you set for yourself. Accept your body for what it is, and opt for more achievable goals.
- Eat better – Monitor your calorie intake, eat a balanced and nutritious diet, and increase your intake of lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables.
- Change eating pattern – If you eat the same food multiple times a week, your body can adjust to the same calorie intake. Change your eating patterns, so your body doesn’t get complacent.
- Take a break – Take a break from dieting and cut down on the intensity of your workouts. Focus on getting enough rest and nourishing your body with a nutrient-rich diet.
- Stay motivated – Stay positive, stay focused on your goals, and keep track of your progress.
- Consult an expert – If all else fails, consult your doctor or dietician for tailored advice and guidance.
Health Benefits of Weight Loss
The health benefits of weight loss are many and varied. Losing weight can reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes, hypertension, heart diseases, and stroke. It can also improve your overall health, reduce stress, improve sleep quality, and elevate your mood. Losing weight can also help you look better, reduce joint pain, prevent cancer, and improve fertility.
Regardless of what diet you choose, or how often you exercise, the most important thing is to remain consistent in your efforts. Don’t give up and keep pushing until you get to your weight loss goals and re-vision a healthier you.