Recent developments in oral medications for cancer treatment and health have opened new doors for patients. By providing new treatments and therapies, those suffering from debilitating illnesses can have hope for improved health and a prolonged life.
Types of Oral Medication for Cancer Treatment and Health
Oral medications have become increasingly common treatments for cancer. Depending on the patient’s condition, some medications are used as primary treatments, while others supplement other treatments. Common types of oral cancer medications include:
- Targeted therapy that blocks cancer growth or spread;
- Chemotherapy drugs that kill cancer cells, or keep them from growing;
- Immunotherapy drugs to help boost the body’s immune system;
- Hormonal therapy that keeps cancer cells from getting hormones they need to grow.
Advantages of Oral Cancer Medications
Oral medications offer cancer patients a number of advantages over traditional treatments. Among these are:
- Convenience: It can be more convenient for the patient to take pills at home rather than receive treatments at hospital visits;
- Flexibility: Oral medications isolate cancer treatments from other aspects of life, allowing patients to work, exercise and socialize as normal.
- Cost: Oral medications are generally cheaper than intravenous treatments, making them more accessible to more people.
As the field of cancer treatments has advanced, so has the use of oral medications. Today, it is easier than ever to control and treat cancer with orally administered drugs. Some of the latest developments include:
- Improved Drug Delivery: Newer drugs are more effective and have fewer side effects. By delivering medications directly to the site of the cancer, the body can be spared the toxic side effects of other forms of chemotherapy.
- ELN-EZH2 Diagnostics: This new technology can detect small (SEO optimized) changes in gene expression to determine whether a drug will work or not. This allows doctors to target the most effective medication and avoid wasting time or money on medications that will not be effective.
- Gene Therapy: Some medications can now be used to directly modify the genetic expression of cancer cells, which can help control or even eradicate certain types of cancer.
The use of oral medications for cancer treatment and health offers patients a great deal of flexibility and convenience. Through the latest developments in technology, there are now more effective treatments with fewer side effects than ever before. If you or someone you know is suffering from cancer, contact your healthcare provider to learn more about the latest treatments and their effects.