Preventing Female Pattern Hair Loss – Lifestyle Changes and Tips for Health
Losing your hair can be a difficult experience for any woman. For those suffering from Female Pattern Hair Loss, the psychological and physical effects can be even more severe. But there is hope. With the right lifestyle changes and health tips, you can prevent Female Pattern Hair Loss, and reduce the amount of hair loss you experience.
What is Female Pattern Hair Loss?
Female Pattern Hair Loss (FPHL) is a common condition that affects many women at some point during their lives, typically around menopause but it can start at any age. It involves a thinning of the hair on the scalp, in a pattern that typically affects the whole area without leaving any bald spots, and it can have a psychologically upsetting affect.
What Causes Female Pattern Hair Loss?
FPHL is largely caused by changes in hormone levels, particularly due to the natural aging process. This can also be related to certain life events, such as giving birth or beginning or stopping menopause. Other factors such as diet and stress can also contribute to this condition.
Lifestyle Changes to Prevent Female Pattern Hair Loss
There are a number of lifestyle changes, health tips and treatments available to prevent or reduce the effects of Female Pattern Hair Loss, including:
- Get nutritional support: Make sure your diet contains all the vitamins, minerals and amino acids necessary for healthy hair growth.
- Reduce stress levels: Stress can cause an increase in hormone levels, leading to an increase in hair loss.
- Minimise use of heated styling tools: Heated styling tools and dyes can damage hair, leading to hair loss.
- Stay active: Exercising regularly can help to reduce stress levels, and improve overall health.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help to keep the scalp hydrated.
- Minimise use of harsh chemical products on the scalp: Harsh chemical shampoos, conditioners and hair dyes can damage the scalp and cause dryness, leading to hair loss.
Medical Treatments to Prevent Female Pattern Hair Loss
There are a number of medical treatments available that can help to reduce or prevent Female Pattern Hair Loss, including:
- Hormone replacement therapy: Hormone replacement therapy can help to restore hair lost due to hormonal imbalances.
- Minoxidil: Minoxidil is a topical solution that can be applied to the scalp to promote hair growth.
- Finasteride: Finasteride is a prescription medication that can help to slow down the rate of hair loss, and can also promote new hair growth.
- Hair transplantation: Hair transplantation can help to restore lost hair, and can help to reduce the appearance of hair thinning.
Female Pattern Hair Loss can be a difficult experience for any woman. But with the right lifestyle changes, health tips and medical treatments, it can be prevented and managed. If you are concerned about Female Pattern Hair Loss, speak to your doctor to find out which treatments would be most effective for you.