Understanding Hemorrhoid Treatment Options
Hemorrhoids, which are also known as piles, can be uncomfortable and extremely painful. Pain can range from minor and acute to extreme and crippling. The condition affects more than fifty percent of adults globally, so it’s important to understand the options available for hemorrhoids treatment. Here, we’ll explore several available treatment options.
At Home / Natural Treatments
Hemorrhoids treatment options such as at-home solutions and natural treatments are often utilized as the first line of defense. They generally involve:
- Increasing water intake to ensure your systems are adequately hydrated and healthy
- Eating a diet high in fiber to ensure food passes through your system quickly and easily
- Using over the counter soothing creams to reduce swelling and irritation associated with the condition
- Sitting in a shallow tub of warm water (known as a sitz bath) for 15 minutes several times a day
These solutions are relatively inexpensive and often effective. However, if symptoms persist or become worse, it’s important to speak with a medical professional as there may be an underlying cause.
Medical / Professional Treatments
Fortunately, hemorrhoids treatment options provided by medical professionals can help to relieve or reduce the symptoms associated with piles. These treatments may include:
- Using rubber bands to cut off the blood supply to hemorrhoid, causing it to eventually shrink and fall off
- Using infrared light to shrink hemorrhoids to a normal size
- Injecting a chemical solution into hemorrhoids to reduce inflammation and reduce symptoms
- Undergoing a surgical procedure to remove small and large hemorrhoids
It is important to remember that the best hemorrhoids treatment course of action always depends on the severity of your specific condition. Therefore, if you have any questions or concerns about your symptoms, it’s always best to speak with your doctor or a qualified medical professional for an accurate assessment.