It’s no secret that regular exercise is essential to maintain optimal health. Beyond its typical benefits such as weight loss, muscle development, and improved cardiovascular and skeletal health, physical activity also helps to boost circulation and improve overall blood flow. In turn, this promotes better circulation and improved health.
Exercise Improves Blood Flow and Promotes Good Circulation
Exercising on a regular basis increases blood flow throughout the entire body. This includes the heart and lungs, but also veins and arteries. Healthy circulation requires well-maintained veins and arteries that offer enough space for circulating blood to move freely.
If people are not regularly exercising, the vessels become narrow and clogged over time, leading to poor circulation. Blood can’t flow as efficiently, resulting in potentially dangerous conditions such as high blood pressure, arteriosclerosis, and other circulatory problems.
Benefits of Improved Blood Flow
When blood flow is improved, the body is better able to transport oxygen, nutrients and signallings throughout the body, leading to:
- Stronger immunity: Immune cells need a healthy flow of oxygenating blood in order to function correctly.
- Reduction of stress: With a good flow of circulating blood, the body is better able to cope with the effects of stress.
- Improved skin tone and complexion: Healthy circulation ensures skin gets the nutrients it needs for a healthy, glowing complexion.
- Better organ function: Blood carries important elements to organs that optimise their functioning.
- Reduced risk of heart attack and stroke: Poor circulation and clogged veins and arteries can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Tips To Improve Blood Circulation With Exercise
The following tips can help to improve circulation and overall health of the body:
- Start slow: For people who are new to exercise and have mobility issues, start with gentle activities that improve range of motion such as walking, swimming and stretching.
- Rotate activities: Switching up types of exercise keeps the body active and encourages better blood circulation.
- Lift weights: Weightlifting is known to improve circulation through increased vascularity in the body.
- Add yoga: Yoga helps to increase circulation to the extremities and helps detoxify organs that may be affected by poor circulation.
Improving blood circulation is essential for good health. Regular physical activity can not only improve circulation, but promote optimal organ functioning as well. Keeping a mix of activities in the routine will help to ensure the body is receiving the exercise it needs to remain in optimal condition.